Saturday, June 19, 2010

Scary Flash Rain Preview of 2010

Minutes before 6 PM, rain poured as the sun sets and the effect was reminiscent of Ondoy.

My family went for a short ride to San Juan to look for a restaurant where we will celebrate Father's Day. As we head off north on EDSA, rain started to pour: frist drizzle-then came the rain.

I read stories of flashfloods in the city of Nashville, Tennessee, USA, Europe, and India early this year and seeing how water was pouring hard gave me chilling thoughts of what Philippines was up to this year since we just experienced El Niño over the hottest-dry season on record. I'm also scared because our nation is still preparing for the new president's oath-taking by the end of this month. You also have President Arroyo winding down her work as Administrator and Commander-In-Chief and preparing her exit.

While driving around for ten minutes, I said "Let's go home." The hard rain reminded me of Ondoy and all I could think about was getting home. Big puddles of rain water started to form at the two outer lanes of EDSA causing more traffic as cars and buses alike drive at a snail's pace to avoid more accidents. I turned on my hazard lights (and so did others) to help others see me.

"This is a perfect disaster forming." I thought. With everyone turning their attention on other government matters, the residents are about to get hit by this storm system that not even the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa)  was able to warn us. I documented the experience and posted it on CNN's iReport so netizens can help me warn others about this potential disaster.

I'm not being pessimistic but for all intents and purposes, I just want this to be something that the Philippine government (outgoing and incoming) should focus on more this year. I am sure that flood-control, environment protection and its awareness, and disaster management will be one of President-elect Noynoy Aquino's acid tests of his job in the first 100 days in office. As they prepare for the party, I hope this government and the incoming one should be talking to avert any further loss of lives as we brace for La Niña. Let's wait and see as I pray for our people and the government to act decisively and fast.


Posted via email from Born 1973

No comments:

Post a Comment